Tuesday, September 28, 2010

Ready for Potty Training??

First of all, is that question for me or Allison??  Potty training is a lot of work as I am VERY quickly finding out!!  Let me start at the beginning.  Since we moved and even before we did Allison has shown a lot of interest in the potty.  She wants to sit on it all the time (she likes the adult toilet with an insert so she can sit on it by herself - she fell in at daycare without one so now she is afraid to sit on it without her ELMO potty toilet ring) and she will sit there for a LONG time.  However as long as she sits there she has NEVER actually done anything on the toilet!  But I had off last Tuesday, and after much encouragement from daycare and my mom that she was ready, decided to give it a try.  So, Tuesday after we went to the Y, we went shopping for underwear.  She was super excited, we got Minnie Mouse underwear!!  She wanted to put them on right away.  Unfortunately we got home right before lunch time, but I decided I would put her on the potty and then put the underwear on.  Like always, she sat there, but didn't go.  We put the undwear on, I figured we were pretty safe, she had just gone in her diaper and it was only 1 hour until nap time when I would put a diaper back on her anyway.  Well, we were eating lunch when she said "poop".  Ugh.  Luckily she did not POOP, but she did pee.  The underwear pack had 3 in it.  So after her nap we put on the second pair.  We took her to the bathroom every 20 min. and she never went in the toilet.  We ended up with 3 WET pairs of underwear.  And I could tell when she did have to go, she would cry and NOT want to sit on the potty. 

After that I had to work the next day and then 1 off then work the weekend with a lot going on during the weekend.  That is the part I am going to have a hard time with.  To be honest, diapers are convenient.  Potty training is not going to be easy, but I have a feeling it will be more work for me than her.  We have decided not to push it, she is after all, not QUITE 2 (Thursday!!).  Maybe try again in later October when I have a stretch of days off.  We will have to clear our schedules and not pack so many things into our days off too!  She is a very smart girl, it is just a matter of her really deciding she wants to do it.  Here are a couple pics of her playing in her underwear.  Forgot to get one of her on the potty!

1 comment:

Andrea said...

My kids were 2 and a 1/2 when we potty trained. I tried for one day much earlier, but they didn't get it at all. It may be easier if you wait....