Sunday, March 6, 2011

Small School vs Big School - The Debate

So pretty much since we first moved to Willmar and especially since Allison was born I have had this internal struggle whenever I think about her going to school as to whether I am happy she is going to be going to a larger school (MUCH larger) than either Jesse or I did, or do I wish and hence would consider moving (sorry, please don't have heart failure anyone who helped us move this last time!) to a smaller town = smaller school district.  Tonight I went back to my high school in Hector to watch the girl's basketball team (they played GREAT and won!).  It was so fun and it re-ignited my questions on this topic.  I thought about it almost all the way home (while intermittently answering Allison's questions over and over and over again!). 

Small School:
I loved growing up in a small town and going to a small school district.  I graduated in a class of about 50.  I not only knew everyone in my class, I knew everyone in the whole school pretty much.  Now when I go back, I don't necessarily know all the kids, but I know most of the parents (or some relative) and it was fun to go back and see so many familiar faces.  As a mom, I would find it very reassuring to know the kids in my child's class, know their parent's and families.  Also my parent's always knew all my teachers.  Heck, my dad HAD some of the same teachers as me as a student!!  It scares me that I won't know the teachers.  And maybe this is a misconception, but I feel like there is so much more school spirit at a smaller school!  I mean the whole town pretty much turned out for the game tonight.  There were no more seats available in the home-town section, people were standing around the top of the gym.  (Actually  most of the visitors section was full too).

Big School:
I really like the convenience of living in Willmar.  Our jobs are right in town (I remember my mom and dad driving to Hutch every day for work growing up!), and while Willmar doesn't have the best shopping, it has the necessities - a grocery store (big enough to have everything we need) and Target!  And as for the school district, it has a lot of opportunities as far as classes and extra curricular activities (I don't even have a grasp of what it all has to offer yet).  I love that there are so many opportunities for our kids. 
I guess I feel like I had a great childhood and loved going to a small school.  It freaks me out that Allison (and our other child) will have to go through metal detectors when they come to school.  And Jesse told me that all the kids have to walk in the same direction in the halls and just wierd things like that.  And to think that not only will I not know all the kids in my childs school (or class) but THEY won't know them all either!  But I am sure that kids who went to a large school were VERY happy there too. 

No comments: