Friday, February 25, 2011

Ear Infection...Round 2??

So, we were at the ENT in Jan. and Allison's right ear tube had fallen out, the left one was still intact.  But her ears looked good at that time.  Well, starting Mon. evening Allison had a fever.  She ate fine, played good, acted perfectly fine, except that she had a fever!  Continued on and off like this all week.  Gave her Motrin and Tylenol for the fever and it would go away for a while.  She had NO other symptoms.  Not even so much as a runny nose or cough, and didn't complain of anything hurting!  She was fever free Wed. night and Thur. morning so I thought she was getting better (from whatever it was she had).  Well, when Jesse picked her up Thur. from daycare he called me at work and asked if I had made her an appt. with the dr. yet.  So, I called her pediatrician and they were able to squeeze us in this morning.  She woke up early Fri. morning (at 4 a.m. and 5) crying and had a fever again.  As soon as I went in her room she was talkative and perky (yes, even at 5 a.m. - I was a little worried she wouldn't go back to sleep!).  But I gave her some motrin for the fever and I was asking her if anything hurt.  She pointed to her throat and then I pointed to her left hear and asked if that hurt too, she said it didn't but pointed to her right one and said that one did.  I was glad we had an appt. for later in the morning!! 

Well, shocker!  She has her first ear infection since LAST Dec (2009).  The ear tubes worked WONDERFULLY while they were in place!  But now the right one has only been out a couple months (well, that we know of anyway, don't know EXACTLY when it fell out) and she already has an ear infection in that ear.  The left one looked good and that tube is right where it should be.  She did also have a sore throat, we chose not to have her tested for strep since she was going to be on antibiotics for her ear infection anyway.  So, we started Amoxicillin today.  Ugh.  And so begins my worrying, every time she is irritable, has a cold, or a fever, I will immediately wonder if she has an ear infection now!!  And if we will have to do Round 2 of ear tubes!  Like I said they worked wonderfully while they were in place, so I would def. do them again if needed, but I think for how much they cost, there should be some kind of 2 year warrenty at least!!  But luckily winter is ALMOST...over, so maybe we will be lucky and this will be her only one.  Fingers crossed!

No comments: